Tuesday, April 24

why can I eat cheese but not milk?


Lactose intolerance is very common.  In fact, 75% of the people world-wide have some degree of it.  However, as you may have noticed, some ethnic groups (Asians, African Americans, Native Americans, Ashkenazi Jews, and Latinos) are especially prone to it. Other risk factors include increased aging, premature birth, certain diseases affecting the small intestine (including bacterial overgrowth, celiac disease and Crohn's disease), and some cancer treatments. Lactose intolerance may also be a result of genetics (you are born without the lactase enzyme or born with an ineffective gene that has trouble producing the enzyme in sufficient quantities) or infections that injure the small intestine.
Lactose intolerance prevalence around the world


If you don't have lactose intolerance, let me tell you a little about what you are missing.  Lactose intolerance is essentially a condition that is characterized by the inability to digest the lactose in milk products (lactose is the sugar component of milk).  The symptoms of this include abdominal discomfort and other bowel related issues. (You do not want to sit on a plane next to someone who is lactose intolerant and just drank a few cups of milk!) Lactose intolerance is rarely serious, but can cause much discomfort.

The cause of lactose intolerance is the reduction or loss of lactase (the enzyme that is used to breakdown the lactose sugar into its subunits of glucose and galactose).  The unhydrolyzed lactose sugar remains in the gut and draws water to it (via osmosis) causing liquidy fecal contents to go through your system. (EW!) Additionally, the colonic bacteria naturally in your intestines ferment some of the remaining lactose, which leads to short chain fatty acid, carbon dioxide and hydrogen gas production that builds up and eventually needs to be released.

So, why can some dairy products be consumed more easily (and pain free) than others? 
Chocolate milk is a good option!
It has to do with the lactose content of the food item.  Most people can consume 1-2 cups of milk throughout the course of the day without significant symptoms (although some people's symptoms may be worse than others). Interesting fact- people can generally tolerate chocolate milk better than plain milk!  I don't know why....

Aged cheese are lower in lactose
Aged cheeses (like hard Parmesan, Swiss, or cheddar cheese) have less lactose than younger cheeses.  This is because bacteria (specifically the species of Lactobacillus) that are used in cheese making process also consume lactose within the cheese.  An aged cheese literally has more lactose broken down compared to other cheeses because of this natural process.  (BTW, this is the same bacteria responsible for sourdough bread, yogurt, kimchee, and many other fermented foods!) Processed cheese, on the other hand, has as much lactose in it as regular milk does, and sometimes it has more!  Generally, the harder the cheese is, the lower the lactose, and the easier it is to be digested in people with lactose intolerance.

Yogurts that contain live bacterial cultures are also usually acceptable for the same reason that aged cheese are.  Much of the lactose is already broken down prior to consumption.

Processed cheeses are high in lactose
People who avoid milk/dairy products entirely because of fear of discomfort should try to re-introduce small amounts of dairy at a time.  If you can gradually introduce milk/dairy into your diet (small amounts throughout the day) you can increase your body's tolerance to lactose.  It is a good idea to include sources of fortified dairy in your diet because they are important sources of calcium and vitamin D, in addition to protein, riboflavin, vitamin B12, magnesium, and potassium!  If you cannot tolerate lactose at all, try to get these sources from other non-dairy items like soymilk or calcium-rich foods.
Calcium content in common foods

Tips:
  • Consume dairy with other food items. This helps slow down your digestion, which makes it easier for your body to absorb lactose.
  • Test different dairy products in small amounts to see your individual tolerance.  People tolerate food differently and at different stages in life.  So, keep trying!
  • Consider taking enzyme tablets containing lactase before consuming dairy products.

Remember- lactose intolerance is an intolerance, not an allergy.  There is no immune response triggered- it is mostly symptoms of discomfort.  A milk allergy is separate condition in which you are allergic to proteins (not sugars) within the milk.  This is a potentially serious and can result in anaphylaxis and potentially death.

For more information about what you can and can't eat with lactose intolerance- the FDA has a nice summary here!

Sources:
  • "National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC)." Lactose Intolerance. Web. 24 Apr. 2012. <http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/lactoseintolerance/>.
  • "Lactose Intolerance." Mayo Clinic. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 04 Apr. 2012. Web. 24 Apr. 2012. <http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lactose-intolerance/DS00530/METHOD=print>.


12 comments:

  1. Is "lactard" politically correct?

    What is the difference between Greek Yogurt and regular yogurt? I can eat Greek but not regular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What makes Greek yogurt different from regular yogurt is the straining process (making it the characteristic thick yogurt). During this process, much of the liquid whey and lactose are removed- which is why you can get almost double the protein for the same amount of calories. (And also why you can tolerate the dairy component- because there is almost no lactose in it!) In fact- Chobani yogurt has almost 95% of the lactose removed via this process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really hit home for me- and I am glad that the bullying from my sister when I first found out I was lactose intolerant is evident in her comment. As my mom would say- 'God got you back for that one!'

    I totally agree with the "Consume dairy with other food items. This helps slow down your digestion, which makes it easier for your body to absorb lactose." I find this definitely works if I eat cheese with other food- there is a smaller effect. My issue got a little more complicated when I discovered I have an allergy to soy milk... so I started drinking rice milk, and then finally fell in LOVE with almond milk. It's deeelicious and you can buy it with all of the added vitamins/calcium that you would get from milk + some.

    I personally don't believe in enzyme tablets and lactaid milk- I think if my body doesn't want the dairy products, I shouldn't unnaturally force it. Also, the enzyme tablets trigger really intense migraines for me- which I find worse than what happens if I splurge and eat some ice cream.

    I'm glad Amy shared this post with me- it was super informative! (Especially reading that I am a mix of three of the five ethnic groups that lactose intolerance is especially common.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you. Almond milk is life😍! My gently report showed that my genetic makeup includes 4 ethnic groups, none of which can digest dairy. Knowledge is power. Good luck!

      Delete
  4. I love almond milk, too! It's definitely a good option if you cannot tolerate regular milk (and even if you can!) :)

    I have never actually used the enzyme tablets- but that's a good point that there may be worse side effects by taking it! Thanks for sharing about your experience.

    And, I'm glad you liked this post! Hehe you are not alone in your lactardness!! Amy must like to surround herself with people who have it hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting read. Personally, milk of any kind gives a few sharp pains so I’ve just stopped. A little hard cheese occasionally is all my body will tolerate. I don’t agree with this “intolerance” deal... if my body says no, then no it is. Not going to force it to “tolerate” anything it doesn’t naturally need/accept. Good read though. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to know. Cheese is probably my favorite food and I can eat it most of the time with no issue but god forbid I have a glass of milk or ice cream I'm home for the day and close to a bathroom (sorry I know TMI) but I can't even have a drink of regular milk with out serious painful (gross) repercussions. So now I know why I can handle some dairy and not others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is exactly my experience! I have no issue with cheese, but ice cream and milk are awful. Except today I made a smoothie with my lactose free milk...and yikes!! I am at work with horrible pains and trying not to spend all day in the bathroom. I tried switching to that because my husband like "real milk" better than almond or soy, but I'll just have to buy two types because this is miserable.

      Delete
  7. I know I'm late to this post but thank you for such a good summary. I was getting confused about what was going on with me, particularly with ice cream related products. Some brands I could tolerate, others well... I'm okay with cheese and most yogurts, but I don't drink milk anyway because I've never liked the aftertaste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice article. I think it is useful and unique article. I love this kind of article and this kind of blog. I have enjoyed it very much. Thanks for your website.
    Click Here : farm tractors for sale 385 85HP 4X4

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I thought I was going crazy. My mother kept telling me just drink lactose free milk and giiiiirl it was just as bad. She thinks it works, but nope nope!! Almond milk ftw!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for everyone’s comments, they certainly made me feel not so freakish. Although, I bet I can top all issues! I have an intolerance to lactose AND cane sugar!! I can eat cheese though. The same thing happens to me when I have sugar as when I have milk or cream. Now here’s the crazy part; I can eat ice cream!!! Not sure if the glucose and lactose cancel each other out, or if together, they make it possible for my system to digest. At this point I’m so confused and there are no answers as of yet. Peace and happiness to all suffer from food issues.

    ReplyDelete